Tuesday, July 11, 2006

We Are As The Army of Heleman

The following is a note that Lara sent, actually it was in her blog. I didn't get your permission to send it on, Lara, because it was in your blog for the world to see.

"I have to tell you though, about the missionaries in Sacrament Meeting.
After one of them spoke, they both stood up together to sing a song. I started bawling before the piano even started! They looked so handsome standing up there preaching the gospel, I just wanted to pinch their cheeks and take them home with me. I can do that now. Cheek pinching totally belongs to old women who cry in Sacrament meetings. Call me Ma'am in public though and I'll pinch your head off. Anyway...once they started the song there was no end to the tears. They sang "We'll Bring the World His Truth" (We are as the armies of Helaman). It was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. I didn't look around but I'm pretty sure I was the only sniffler in the whole room. What is my problem!

I think that is my new favorite song. As we walked by the temple after General Conference last April, a group of Elders were lining the sidewalk singing that song as we passed down the middle. I have never felt the spirit so strongly. I didn't want to leave but the crowd pushed us on.

We are as the army of Helaman.
We have been taught in our youth.
And we will be the Lord's missionaries
to bring the world His truth.


I can't wait till Grey is old enough to be a missionary. By the way, does anyone out there want to hear the gospel? I need to do my part here to bring the world His truth. If you ever get any missionaries at your door, just let them in would you? How could you not? They are so adorable!'

Now this is from Mom, I couldn't help responding because:

Loved your note about the adorable missionaries,. It made me cry to read it. You have to know that is why we love our mission so. We have that experience every day. The church is having the missionaries sing now and it really invites the spirit. We had a zone meeting the other day and Elder Halverson, of the 70's was here. He had a couple of missionaries get up and give the second lesson and Burt and I were the investigators. I am known among the missionaries as a "tough" investigator because I don't just sit and say yes to everything they say. When these Elders got half way trough their discussion they stopped and sang "Oh, how lovely was the morning." I couldn't stand it, the tears welled higher and higher. I couldn't, even in jest, be difficult, the spirit was so strong. Elder Halverson said, "Yes, Sister Robbins we saw you slowly melting." To see the elders so clean, handsome and boldly bearing their testimonies just touches me so much. We come to the library every day and see the "creeps" that hang out here and I am so thankful for the gospel and that our boys, 60,000 plus, are out teaching about obedience, honesty, faithfulness. Just last week we heard them teach us about obedience. Today the President's Assistance's taught us about our attitude and the effect it has on the people we teach, what a lesson!. I look at them and say, "This is a 19-20 year old BOY teaching me about obedience!" What a program is this missionary program! Yes, I see our little grandchildren in their position in just a few short years and am so thankful.

Last week when we were talking about obedience one little elder who was teaching said he had a companion who wouldn't work and he said he didn't either. Then he came to Fairbanks and had Elder Jepsen, who we consider the "most obedient" elder in the mission, as his companion. He bore his testimony on how much more successful they were than in any other district that he had served in. Then he said, "I am so happy that I can now be the missionary that my mother thinks I am." Wow, I just can't get that out of my mind. Thank Heavens for good missionaries and good mothers home supporting them. Can't wait until all of our grandson's and their mom's get to this point.

By the way, you can invite the missionaries over for dinner and when they leave they will leave a spiritual thought and/or a song. It is very touching and would be good for the kids to see.
I love the gospel so much and am so thankful for this mission experience.

I love you all so very much, thank you for your support with your letters, email, pictures, and phone calls.

1 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was searching the Internet for Elder Jepsen's blog and found yours mentioning another Elder Jepsen. Nice blog, I like your style of writing and content. Let's have more of that.

I eventually found the other Elder Jepsen and you might want to see it as well. Elder Jepsen is on his mission from Denmark (that is where the name originates), serving in Ontario, Canada (a part of the Minnesota, Minneapolis Mission).

http://only2years.blogspot.com/

Keep up the good work on your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home